Rustom holds Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees in Mechanical Engineering and a Master of Business Administration in Finance. He is a Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Texas, USA. He holds 17 patents and is the author of over 70 articles, technical presentations and publications. He has won numerous Meritorious Awards for Engineering Innovation. In all, he has more than 35 years of experience in drilling and completion. Rustom is an active member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE), American Association of Drilling Engineers, International Association of Drilling Engineers (IADC), American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and serves on various sub-committees of all three organizations. He serves on the Board of Advisors at the following Universities and organizations:
- Offshore Technology conference Advisory Board
- Society of Petroleum Engineers Advisory Board
- University of Houston Energy Advisory Board
- University of Oklahoma Engineering Department
- University of Oklahoma Mewbourne School of Petroleum and Geologic Engineering
- Texas A&M TEES Executive Advisory Board
- Pumps & Pipes an organization made up of professionals from Medicine, Aerospace and Energy Industry.
- World Oil ShaleTech North America Conference
- ASME Hydraulic Fracking Conference
Recently he was appointed to serve on the advisory board of Council on Competitiveness Technology Leadership and Strategy Initiative - Washington DC.