Production Distribution across Permian Basin Formations

  • NextShale
  • Geology, Geophysics, Processing & Transportation (Arabian Room C)
  • 8:30 am - 9:00 am

According to experts, 95% of oil from shale is left in the ground and two thirds of hydraulic fracturing stages produce no oil. It is happened because traditional methods and techniques for log data interpretation, successfully used for conventional reservoirs, are not applicable to shale plays. As result the operators have been developing shale deposits blindfold.   Texas-based Amros Corporation solved these problems developing a technology that uses standard open-hole log data to calculate a Production Profile that shows potential production through the entire well in barrels per day.   It is based on a proprietary equation to calculate well production from open-hole log data. This Archie type equation was derived from analysis of hundreds of pressure build-up and production well tests and has been successfully applied for conventional deposits in many countries, then later modified for shale plays.  Analysis of Production Profiles for more than 100 wells in Permian basin shows that 80% of the thickness of production zones have average production 1.5 bbl./day per 100 ft., but for the rest 20% it is 18.0 bbl./day per 100 ft. The technology separates low and high producing zones which allows to eliminate drilling of 80% of low producing horizontal wells and drill only the 10% – 20% of the horizontal wells with top production.   For vertical wells the technology reduces the cost of fracking up to 50% while increasing well production at least 20%.   The technology provides data enabling the development of 3D models showing recoverable hydrocarbons; this is key information for optimizing field development:  •    Decrease development cost and increase production at the same time  •    Increase recovery efficiency   •    Lower environmental impact    The technology was recognized as a finalist for the World Oil Awards 2016 in the category New Horizons Idea and the “Most Promising Company” by the RICE Alliance in 2015 twice.